- 1/3 cup coconut flour sifted
- 1/3 cup hazelnut four (Bob Red Mill makes a good one)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 5 eggs
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup, or make a reduction with ABQ Olive Oil Company Vermont Maple Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/4 cup ABQ Olive Oil Company Blood Orange Olive Oil
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- The zest and juice of one medium orange
Preheat oven to 350 °F. First combine all the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Next add all the wet ingredients and mix well with an electric hand mixer if you have one.
You can use lined cupcake tins, or you can use unlined but well-greased in palm shortening or coconut oil. Pour the batter into each muffin cup until 3/4 full. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Let muffins cool on wire rack. Let cool completely if you are going to frost them. You certainly do not have to, they are exceptionally moist and delicious without the frosting! The orange is bright and delicious and the olive oil makes the cake extremely moist. If you decide to frost, they are delicious with a “cream cheese” forest with orange zest added! These are great for breakfast or as a snack unfrosted and a lovely light dessert if frosted.